Samsung forum: Any way to downgrade my blu ray player?

by: 1qck162 May 9, 2012 3:31 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Any way to downgrade my blu ray player?

by 1qck162 - 5/9/12 3:31 PM

Bought a BDP-1500 player back in Jan '09. Used it for about 3 months just fine for blu ray and standard DVD. Around the Summer 2009 we moved into her parents house for a few months. During this time I packed everything up and stored it. The home theater box (receiver, speakers, game consoles and TV) I kept with us in the closet so it wasn't exposed to the heat of a storage unit.

Fast forward to about August, I hook everything up in our new place. We enjoy BR discs no problem. I go out and buy a new movie (I don't remember which one). It doesn't play, I get 'Disc can not be played'. Quick check on the Samsung site I see I need to update my firmware. No big deal, I'm a computer guy I'm used to this. Firmware update completed, and all of a sudden NO discs play.

I call Samsung, they say Reset and update (but I just updated and it bricked my DVD player?!) So I reset and update, lo and behold it still doesn't work. They want $75 to fix it (what happened to the 12 month warranty?)

Anyway I forget about it for about 6 months (I had my Xbox to play movies). On a whim I decide to look for firmware updates. There's a new one (I think 2.1 or 2.2). So I install it, I get blu ray and DVD access back (yay!). Then it just stops working. It doesn't detect any discs (it says 'No Disc' on the display). We figured out if we open/close it half a dozen times it usually starts playing them again.

Once again it's time to move. So we move, I pack it up & forget about it. I just pulled it out today. Sure as fecal matter, I can't watch anything at all. I jump on Samsung's site and see a new Firmware as of 12/22/2011 (is my problem fixed!?!?!!!)

Download and update the BD-P1500 player. Hey! Regular DVD's are playing without a problem! Hooray! (but wait, I have been using my Xbox to watch DVD's....). Anyway I take out the DVD and put in one of my BR discs (I choose Journey to the Center of the Earth because I know it worked before). Sure enough... display says 'No Disc'.

Honestly, I'm really upset about this. I bought it along with a TV for the purpose of enjoying High Def movies. I only was able to watch it for about 4 months total (over the past 3 years?!) Granted I haven't been real pro-active in troubleshooting it, but I troubleshoot tech stuff all day and moving twice during the 12month warranty really didn't help out much.

So my question is......I want to get some old(er) firmware to downgrade my firmware back to something else. What can I do?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close