Samsung forum: Web Browser on the new 2011 Smart TVs is getting trashed

by: itzme1234 May 30, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

Staff pick

Web Browser on the new 2011 Smart TVs is getting trashed

by itzme1234 - 5/30/11 8:39 AM

2 Votes

Surrounding this post are several other posts that are trashing the web browser and SmartTV's interface and usability. I thought I'd start a post where folks could make constructive criticisms and post ideas on how Samsung can improve it.

The primary complaints seem to be that the provided keyboard, while clever, is just too slow, frustrating, non-intuitive, and/or too clumsy to use (using its Tab mode or its Pointer mode). Folks also want Samsung to acknowledge that many users use a universal remote, adding to the usability concerns. I agree with all those issues being posted.

My perspective is from someone who is used to starting his morning with a cup of coffee and some light browsing while listening to or watching the news. Occasionally I make a brief post in forums like this one. For that reason I was excited when Samsung promoted their browser with a PIP window. I used to use the opera browser built into my Wii. While its usability is awesome (using the Wii controller to move around web sites by one-handed pointing and clicking), it's old technology, has little RAM, and Wii browser is not as robust as Samsung's. I had hoped Samsung would overcome those issues, and on some issues they did, but the usability clumsiness HAS to be overcome now. Here's some ideas:

1) Look at how the Wii controller works. The user can point toward the TV and click in a fraction of the time it takes with any of the SmartTV interfaces. Can Samsung imitate anything like that? Maybe with our Droids, iPhones, iPod Touch or other 3rd party devices?

2) Give us an on-screen QWERTY keyboard with intuitive auto-complete. It would make sense to make that the default Graphic User Interface when the user clicks "Enter" at a web input field. Another poster pointed to this one: "You can try http://www.softcorporation.com/smarttv/ It works with regular remote control and I was able to type "Lord of the Rings" in 4 clicks (besides moving cursor), not bad.

3) Make "Favorites/Bookmarks" that can be one or two clicks away. Right now we have to try to navigate back to the top of the browser or hit Tools, and then many more clicks to get to our desired site Bookmark. TIP: For now, as a slight workaround, I made my iGoogle the home page, and I added a Bookmarks widget to that page. It still takes too long and too many clicks just to move around from site to site.

Anyone else have any Ideas or Tips?

Can the Samsung Tech let us know if a thread like this one might actually make a difference and could possibly get looked at by someone who can make a difference?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close