Samsung forum: Workaround for MKV Subtitle (LE32B650)

by: Larcek May 14, 2010 8:40 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Workaround for MKV Subtitle (LE32B650)

by Larcek - 5/14/10 8:40 AM

hi there,
for a couple of weeks i had the problem, that extracted subtitles didn't show up. after browsing in here a bit i got an understanding of the problem and with a little more research and some trying i found a workaround for it. i already tried it a couple of times and it works for me.

1. download and unzip mkvtoolnix on your system
2. start a command line and browse to the folder
3. use the following command: mkvextract tracks "<Path>" 3:sub.ass
> Example: mkvextract tracks "C:\Video.mkv" 3:sub.ass
> Another Information: if the file has more than only one subtitle and you may want to extract another, open up the mkvtoolnix gui program ( called 'mmg.exe' ) and drag'n'drop the video file in it. what you're now looking for is the ID of the subtitle you want to extract. check out the window for 'tracks, chapters and tags' and search for the subtitle. if it's the id 4 you was looking for, use 'mkvextract tracks "C:\Video.mkv" 4:sub.ass' instead.
4. when done you have your subtitle file. normally it should work, if the name is exactly of the video file, but it doesn't, so get Subtitle Workshop and install it
5. open up the program, load the subtitle and save it as it is as a "SubRip". the file will have the extension ".srt".
6. place the file in the same folder as the Video File and name it exactly alike.
> Example: "Video.mkv" and "Video.srt"
7. make sure no other files with the same name as the video file is at the folder and connect the usb/harddisk to the tv.
( 8. the subtitle might show up a bit to small, but via 'tools' and 'subtitle' on the remote control of your tv, you might enlarge it a bit. )

i hope this will help some users to get the wanted subtitles to show up. maybe this workaround may work for other systems, too, as there are no changes to the tv itself but only the video/subtitle file.

if you're beginners with the command line, copy this into an editor and save it as named. you should have unzipped the mkvtoolnix to the folder "C:\Program Files\mkvtoolnix" then.
StartUp.bat
cd C:\Program Files\mkvtoolnix
@echo off
echo.
echo HOW TO:
echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
echo 1. mkvextract tracks "<PATH>" 3:sub.ass
echo 2. open subtitle workshop, load file and save as SubRip ( *.srt )
echo 3. copy subtitle file to video folder and rename it exactly alike
echo.
cmd

the script file ended above. wink

bye

p.s.: if i find a way to implement those steps into one little program, i will edit this post with it.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close