Samsung forum: Samsung DNLA/Wiselink/Samsung PC Share Manager Setup

by: kstevens4 December 22, 2008 9:58 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Samsung DNLA/Wiselink/Samsung PC Share Manager Setup

by kstevens4 - 12/22/08 9:58 AM

First, thanks to those who contribute to blogs, this is my payback for the help I have received.

We just bought the new Samsung LN52A860 television. Since I am a geek both by hobby and work, I wanted to take advantage of all the features of this very nice TV. It has taken me just over a week to figure out all that had to happen to make things work. I will let you know the steps that make the magic happen: (This does assume that you or a friend knows how to set up PC Networking, not for the feint at heart.  )

Our house is two stories, with wireless connecting our five PCs. We use Time-Warner Roadrunner as our ISP. Two of the PCs run Windows XP, the other three a desktop and two notebooks run Vista.

1. Infolink Setup This is pretty simple. We ordered the Samsung WIS08BG2X LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter ($39 at Amazon.com). Just follow the instructions in your Samsung users manual. This setup is quite easy. Just remember however the Linkstick only provides connectivity for Infolink.
2. Wise Link/DNLA/Samsung PC Share Manager: This was very tricky: there are issues with router settings, and wireless setup.
a. Samsung PC Manager: As with most software that comes with electronics, by the time the component is packaged, shipped, and you buy it the software is out of date.
i. First thing you should do is go to the Samsung.com download center site and download the latest version. As of 12/22/08 this is version 1. 4.3.
ii. Install the software, follow instructions.
b. Wireless Setup - Very tricky, this took me three nights to figure out.
i. You must have a network cable plugged into the RJ-45 network cable plug on the connections panel in back of the TV. If your home router is nearby, or there is a Network wall jack nearby, just run your cable to the router or wall jack. If not however you will need to purchase a router to plug the cable in. I just bought a simple TrendNet cheap router at Frys Electronics ($28), and plugged the cable from the TV to that.
ii. Setup the router (usually setup is best done directly connected to a PC or notebook) using the normal steps in the user manual for the router.
1. You MUST enable UPnP in the router setup. Failing to do this will prevent Samsung PC Share Manger from seeing the television, and the message on the TV side will say something like no device connected when you are trying to set up the TV Wiselink connection. One blog said to also enable filter multicast, but I did not find that on my router settings (it was a cheapo remember).
c. Connect TV through the router to your PC(s) that have the Samsung PC Share Manager program installed.
i. This will require following instructions in your manual. If you have an existing wireless router before you start, this will require you to switch between routers to use this function. Not a big thing, but can be confusing for non technical folks. Just have your friend show you how, and write it down. This takes less than 30 seconds when you want to do it.
d. Samsung PC Share Manager - Now we are almost complete.
i. Open the Samsung PC Share manager program This is what communicates between your PC and TV.
ii. Click on the Share button in the program at top of the share window.
iii. Click on Set Device Policy - You should see your TV now with an IP Address and an Accept/Deny button to the right of the line.
iv. Click on the Accept/Deny button until Accept is shown.
v. Now follow the instructions in the Samsung PC Share Manager to set up the share for your videos, photo, and music folders. You will find the program currently allows 32 folders max to be placed in the share.
vi. Go to you TV, follow the instructions in the TV users manual for the DNLA Function, and enjoy your PC media!!

I hope this helps you all. Good Luck!!!
Ken Stevens
Round Rock, TX

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close