Webware forum: Privacy Security Insurance Program

by: Mysteryunknown December 29, 2009 3:39 AM PST

Like this

1 person likes this thread

Staff pick

Privacy Security Insurance Program

by Mysteryunknown - 12/29/09 3:39 AM

"Am seeking information about a java AI privacy security program that used to be downloadable from a geocities page which of course is no longer there. I am pretty sure the name of the program was "fakir". It essentially was a toolbar that conducted random word searches while you surfed the web, using Google search engine. This in theory was to cause false trails as you surfed and thereby muddy the water. However it did display the word that was being searched on the bar as it was being searched and it did search rather rapidly, although had negligible effect on overall browsing speed. I stopped using it as a few of the words I noted it searching for were of some concern to me, and certainly didn't need a privacy program that might cause issues due to "bad Karma" so to speak.
This topic comes up now due to an email conversation that I had with a friend in email that is a fellow inventor, and just in passing I noted to him how the concept of such a privacy protection security insurance program would be a great thing for privacy and freedom, while making cookies and search engine profiles useless if it were improved upon and had all the bells and whistles. I mentioned friendly user attributes such as modification of the primary search word list, both deleting and adding your own words as desired to the list as well as the ability to use more search engines than just Google and in random sequences.Also modification of the speed of the searches to a more random search speed so as to defy any profile that might be created to defy the effectiveness of such a privacy insurance program. I also later added that since the main toolbar program was already AI then perhaps that AI could be increased to variable levels depending on the storage area available to the specific PC user and actually allow it to begin browsing on it's own to various sites at random, although that in itself would require some added security or at least enable the program to work in conjunction with available security programs, and self shutdown in case of attack.Also I mentioned need for compatibility with various systems and configurable to various ports and work with firewalls and browsers & so on. Guess it was a bit of a wish list that would change the playing field on the web towards privacy.
However when he emailed me back he was concerned about this type of technology as he had just installed Google Analytics on his new site and now was concerned as to whether that had been wise, and said he needed more information about how the program worked, and was going to do some research on it. That prompted me to try and find either the program again or one similar or at least some more detailed information about such a program so I could share the data with him. Alas, after considered searching on various search engines I have not found that program even listed anywhere. Did find some security privacy programs that seem to be headed in that general direction, but not fakir, and yes I tried several spellings just in case. Even thought to seek old records on the internet archive, but alas have deleted all geocities urls from my favs and can't find it in any of my backups.But I then remembered that on the Geocities page where the download link was posted the page owner had mentioned that he had worked though some open source projects , and so as a last desperate quest am hoping someone here will recognize either the type of program or maybe even the exact name and any further details that they might have, would be very appreciated. I know this is likely a very easy to answer question and will be embarassed when someone says "how could I not know?" But on the other hand it might be of some import if that was the only page where it was available and the concept were to be lost, and aside from which, my friend with his new site does have perhaps a legitimate concern about his use of Analytics on his site if these programs are becoming more widespread in use. As with every advance there are losers and winners, such is the nature of the beast. Thank You all for any response on this subject."

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close