Windows Vista forum: sfc fails on non local disc, safe boot fails diskcrc.sys

by: cdbob321 September 24, 2013 3:32 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

sfc fails on non local disc, safe boot fails diskcrc.sys

by cdbob321 - 9/24/13 3:32 AM

Here's a challenge. I am a SWD, and for years have built computers, data recovery etc. I've hit a wall!

A DELL Inspiron 530 fails to boot (inc safe mode), no recovery options work, and I cannot boot into safe mode. There is 500G of data, better be carefull, so i take out the disc, and start pulling of data in order of importance.

1) I Mount the disk to my computer, copy data in order of importance - documents, email, random stuff, music
2) Do a sector by sector clone (I used EaseUS ToDo Backup Free). It seemed OK.
3) By the time this finished the original disk showed a format of RAW (pretty dead), but I had a copy. In other words, disk was on its way out.
4) I ran an analysis using Remo on my image, and it found the whole directory structure. So I cloned my clone, and attempted repair on one copy and low and behold, it looks OK. I stuck it back into my Dell computer, had to make it bootable, and it behaves the exact same as the original dead disk did.

5) I installed Vista Home Premium on a spanking new 1Terrabyte WD Green disk. Installed 127 updates, had a shower, installed a SP, then another 82 updates, and this went on for another couple iterations.

6) Computer done, I copied all the data back, recreated the user accounts. But then noticed this triple boot problem. Everytime I boot the PC, the fan whirls wildly, turns off, turns on, turn off, turns on - one beep and then everything is fine. This I tracked down to be the graphics card. As soon as I removed this, the machine behaved as it should.

Job done!

7) But another solution would be preferrable, one that keeps the programs that are installed on this machine, or at least retrieve the license keys that were used. Of course he does not have all the original discs but even less licensekeys.

So my challenge begins.

I make the disc I want to repair a boot disk, and make my new install a 2nd boot. It fails on Safe Mode, comes back up with a Repair, but "Windows is unable to repair this PC".

I go to the command prompt, CHKDSK /F - couple of errors, which were fixed.

I would do an inplace install (which keeps settings and files), but I would need to be able to boot up first.

I run the SFC it fails, due to a pending update. Now I take ownership of the pending.xml file from c:\windows\winsxs (right click on the file, Advanced -> Owership -> Take Ownership). Then add new user (just type Everyone, Full Permission). Refresh the directory, and you can blow away the file. (which is not a great idea, but I had not no choice)

Now when I run SFC /SCANNOW it fails with "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". If I rerun the command and select the brand new windows installation instead (d:\windows) instead it runs fine. So this error message is somewhat misleading, there is no problem starting the service

I now reboot into the new installation, and SFC runs fine. Then I re-run SFC, and specify OFFWINDIR and OFFBOOTDIR to be the faulty OS, it comes back with "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

13) I boot to a CD, same problem with SFC. SFC on new install is fine, SFC on faulty OS, comes back with the same message.

I have booted into the working OS, and done a Virus scan on both disks. Nothing.

I have tested Windows on my new Installation, it works fine, so there are no HW issues.

I have copied the drivers from the working installation to the non working one.

This is a far as I got.

I continue my journey and will share what I find. If anybody has any clues why SFC fails, please share with me.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved