Windows Vista forum: seemingly endless boot up issues

by: tyredwingz March 28, 2013 11:28 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

seemingly endless boot up issues

by tyredwingz - 3/28/13 11:28 AM

hi all, forgive me, this is my first time posting my computer issues and may be somewhat clueless to all suggestions. However, i will try to the best of my abilities to provide you all with all the information needed to assist me.
I guess this is where i should start going into a bit more detail about my computers issues, however i'm not entirely sure of every issue my computer may have due to many years of neglect. nonetheless we shall start with what comes first: start up, boot up, or what else may have you. This process has been quite strange as of lately, it has showed me many different many error messages as well as a lack there of.
lets go back to the day this all happened, i was enjoying a video game and suddenly it started to freeze up, to the point it was unplayable, partnered by the sound of a broken record playing through my headset. i quickly assumed it was time for a restart, as i have neglected to for some time and afterwards i planned to install all updates that may have been pending. Unfortunately, they are still pending, because i have not been able to make it back to my desktop. There i was stuck on the windows vista loading screen, no progress forward, no error messages, nothing but the bar continuously moving never to change. This is where i gave up on starting windows up normally and converted to safe mode. Safe mode had only a bit more success. i was able to make it past the loading screen to my user log in screen. as i typed in my password and hit enter i was again left waiting forever, or so i thought. after a good 10 minutes a message appeared "reboot and selecr proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". i had no clue what to think, so i did a little searching, and as you may have guessed i've been unsuccessful. i then removed the cmos battery for a minute or two and replaced it followed by reverting it to default boot up settings. i then attempted to boot it up again with little success. i then tried booting it up with its last known successful settings and did not prevail. i actually believe i managed to make the problem worse because now i'm lucky to get a display at all.

to recap, as of now a few things i have tried consist of: replacing the cmos 2032 lithium battery with another i just purchased, reseating a few chips, checking the power strip my computer is plugged into,
booting in safe mode, and booting with default settings.

my computer is was pre-built other than a few parts i have changed out over the years including the PSU(350 watt) and graphics card(nvidia gt520 1g galaxy). it has 8g ram (2x 4g sticks) and a asus mobo(not sure what else to say about the mobo) and a amd phenom x3.

if you could offer any advice/criticism please do, i'm relatively inexperienced and would love to learn ^^

also, if i have left anything out please don't be afraid to tell me so. i want to help you guys help me as much as possible =] well then, shall we start?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved