Windows Vista forum: Windows loading - stops at black screen with cursor (Virus?)

by: FrustratedToshibaUser October 3, 2009 11:26 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Windows loading - stops at black screen with cursor (Virus?)

by FrustratedToshibaUser - 10/3/09 11:26 AM

I. I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 that operates on Windows Vista. The problem: Windows will not boot normally...the stopping point is a black screen with a white cursor. It only works in "Safe Mode with Networking".

A. Here is how the problem started: An error messaged popped up on my computer yesterday saying "Windows [Something] Serrogate has stopped working." and my only option was to click "Close". Another error message dialog box came up and said something about another Windows program that had stopped working. Again, the only option was to click "Close". I am wondering if this was a message that caused the virus when I clicked "Close", or if the message was the result of a virus disabling certain programs. Or something else. ?

B. I was somewhat worried that this could be a virus, and I clicked restart. My computer shut down as usual, but when it began to restart, I saw the Toshiba "Leading Innovation" screen, then the "Windows loading..." screen with the loading bar that looks similar to a green caterpillar (Haha), then it got to a black screen with a cursor (that you could move) and the computer halted all progress. My computer would not let me use Ctrl+Alt+Del so, I held down the power button and forced a shutdown. Now, I have to run my computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" to access anything.

II. To make things more clear and to specify, here is EXACTLY what happens now:

A. I have forced my computer to shut down. I turn on my computer. I get the Toshiba "Leading Innovation" screen, then the "Windows Error Recovery" screen. The options are to choose "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", or "Start Windows Normally".

1. If I choose to "Start Windows Normally", the next screen is the "Green Caterpillar" loading screen, then the following screen is only black with a cursor. The computer sounds like it is doing something (clicking and humming), but nothing ever happens no matter how long I wait.

2. If I start it in "Safe Mode with Networking", it works fine. I get the "Loading Windows Files" screen (the black screen with white text that shows all loaded files), then I get a black screen with a cursor, BUT THEN, I get the Windows logo screen, the Windows Vista "Welcome" screen, and finally, the desktop (although it is the "Safe Mode" desktop with no personal settings, it works for everything I need).

B. **How do I get my computer to start correctly in normal mode again?**

1. Is this a virus?

2. Is this a result of a Windows update?

3. Is this because of something else I have not mentioned?

III. I think it is a virus, but I could be wrong. I have the explanatory abilities of a young child when it comes to computer terms, so hopefully, you can help me out! (I hope you liked my "Green Caterpillar" reference.) I am definitely not a computer expert, so any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

-FrustratedToshibaUser

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close