Conflict between Nikon transfer and Windows media player

by dsolgoo - 6/11/09 7:32 PM

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 bit on a Dell Dimension C521 with an AMD aAthlon 64x2 processor, 4 gb of memory.

I spent a long time uploading music so I could use Windows Media Centre as my stereo centre. I have the remote. It's great. I can make and play all kinds of playlists, music by genre, album, artist... I'm channelling it into my receiver through a Cambridge Audio DACmagic. Sounds excellent.

I bought a Nikon D5000 and everything went well for a while. There was no conflict between any programs.

Then (why?!) I ran Ad Aware! Ad Aware identified 13 cookies it thought were a threat. I removed them.

Now every time I try to run my Nikon programs, WMP crashes and with it WMC. Also Digital cable device registration application crashes.

What I have done:

1. I have used computer restore to go back to the point before the cookies were uninstalled. That didn't work.

2. I uninstalled the Nikon software using Revo Uninstaller and re-installed it. Apps still crash and, strangely, every time I exit View NX (the app that reads the Nikon photo files), I get a window that says it's stopped working. Something in there is having trouble recognizing my actions from...

PS. if I remember to stop the song in WMP before uploading photos I'm ok. I can turn the app back on when Nikon Transfer's done its work. but I really want to run all these things together... as before.

Thanks in advance.