Windows Vista forum: mouse will only work in safe mode.

by: jobfair April 7, 2009 12:09 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

mouse will only work in safe mode.

by jobfair - 4/7/09 12:09 PM

Hi,
Recently my mouse and keyboard would 'lock' and disable both items when working on my desk top p.c.; I was running a Logitech 710 combo wireless keyboard and mouse. I have had this combo for about 18 months and it has never let me down, I installed it when running XP and it has been running fine in Vista Business that I changed over to 9 months ago.

When this problem happened I did several re-boots, then I finally powered off and removed the keyboard and mouse and replaced both with and old wired mouse and keyboard and restarted it again in normal mode; it worked for a while (an hour or so)and then the mouse would just 'freeze' again and the keyboard would also not work.

I then re-booted in safe mode, did scans ( a few problems found and removed) and registry checks and eventually they all coming back as fine. The control panel (device manager) when looking at both Logitech items say that the devices are working properly, even though I am unable to type anything!!!

After several attempts to correct the problem; including unplugging the USB receiver, un-installing the software, re-booting and reinstalling the software (including getting the latest updates for both items) the problem still remains.

Now the only way I can run my p.c. in safe mode, and although the Logitech keyboard is still not working the Logitech mouse has continued to work. I am now using the (VERY!!) old keyboard with the Logitech mouse.

I have searched for a solution everywhere; I have email Logitech support who so far have failed to read my problem correctly offering me a solution totally unrelated to what is happening.

It is really frustrating not to be able to resolve this problem, I am limited in what I can do, for example printing, sending a fax and making any adjustments whilst in safe mode. Many of the problems I have looked at seem to 'touch' on something like my problem; but I am sure I cannot be the only person on this planet with this problem!!!

To be clear, my p.c. recognizances everything at booting up in both safe and normal mode, even though the Logitech keyboard is not working, it detects both of the keyboards and both of the mouses connected to the p.c. with no error messages or failures to boot.

I do not know if this is a conflict problem, virus or Vista, in fact I do not have a clue what can be causing this but it is really getting to me!!! I have even added extra scans in the hope something might pick up what is causing the problem, so far nothing has worked.

PLEASE PLEASE can anyone help!!

Jo

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close