Windows Vista forum: How to use Partition Magic, Boot Magic, Powerquest

by: YankeesNYwins March 21, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

How to use Partition Magic, Boot Magic, Powerquest

by YankeesNYwins - 3/21/07 10:59 AM

Drive Image and Norton Ghost with Vista.

To make a long story short, "I can do anything with Windows Vista that I did with Windows XP."

Ask me specific questions and I'll tell you what to do.

I had four Vista partitions booting with boot magic.
I had three XP and one Vista booting with boot magic.
I had one Vista and two XP booting with boot magic.
I can save a drive image of Vista and restore it easily.

And on and on and on.

Or I don't have to install boot magic, just go to the operating system I want to boot to by opening partition magic and setting the partition active..anyone of them...Vista, XP whatever.

But, to get out Vista you have to boot the boot magic floppy and choose the XP and set the partition active you want to boot to. This is only because Vista refuses to load Partition Magic. It installs OK but it is forbidden to run.

After reading the titles on this site it really bothers me that so many are upset with Vista and going back to XP.

I love Vista, it is spectacular work.

People want to believe that Microsoft wants you to suffer and that is wrong. Vista is great work.

Take control and learn what you can do.

Right now I am doing another test on Vista. I have three partitions, Vista on #1, XP on #2, and XP on #3.

I boot to anyone using boot magic.

I just saved a copy of the Vista Drive with Powerquest Drive Image to an external hard drive and am going to restore it on top of one of the XP partitions and see if I can boot to it.

I am sure I can because Vista DVD has a great repair feature that quickly rebuilds the boot ini.

No longer do you have to load Windows and choose bootcfg /rebuild.

OK, I had my say, just dont shout me down before you try it yourself and prove I am correct.

I posted these ideas on another site and got wasted to the recycle bin.

Moderator flat out said "Vista" is NOT compatible with Partition Magic or boot magic or powerquest drive image or any of these third party hard drive software utilities.

NOT TRUE.

Advice for anyone buying a computer with Vista on it and you don't get a DVD of the operating sytem.
Follow Vista's method to shrink the volume and install XP and then install the software I listed above and save a drive image of the Vista operating system to an external hard drive so you can use it as a recovery disk. But you have to restore it over top of the installed operating system so it boots right.

There is a lot more to what I have discovered but I think you get the idea.

Let the spin begin.

Disclaimer: The EULA only allows you to install one copy of a operating system to use.

I am only experimenting with the hard drive and drive images and am not using any of these operating systems.

In fact, as I move to the next test I format or delete the partition to test something else.

I, in no way recommend violating the EULA. Microsoft is a great company and they take a beating from jealous companies and countries.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close