USB2.0 External Hard Drive Problem
by chairman2003 - 10/20/06 4:38 PM
I have a LaCie Biggest F800. This is a USB2.0-connected RAID drive. I have
three computers. Computer #1 runs WinXP Pro SP2. THis is where the drive
was connected. It works fine there, formatted with NTFS, no security.
If I plug it in to computer #2, which runs WinXP Pro SP1 it is recognized
and works fine (automatically assigned a drive letter and is readable). This
helps to confirm it's not a security issue.
If I plug it in to computer #3, which runs WinVista Beta RC2 it is
physically recognized-- i.e. the device manager recognizes the device
(including the name "LaCie Biggest F800"). However, that's where the OS
stops working correctly. ~50% of the time the disk management console does
not display the disk at all. While sometimes, diskmgmt does display the
disk, but marks the type and status as "unknown".
- There is no right-click option to assign a drive letter
- I have tried rebooting (with the drive connected and not connected)
- I have tried various USB ports
- I have connected the drive powered up and powered down
- I have tried disabling UAC
- I have tried contacting LaCie... they do not officially support vista at
After stumping my IT colleagues... any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!