by John.Wilkinson - 10/5/06 9:25 PM
Microsoft has been planning the program since early summer and will officially release the details later this month. However, the following is presumed to be true:
* Known as the Windows Vista Technology Upgrade Program.
* Runs from October 26, 2006 through March 15, 2007.
* Applies to new computers purchased during that timeframe.
* Valid only with manufactured computers...does not apply to those purchasing copies of XP.
* Only valid with computers that meet Vista's requirements. (May exclude budget models.)
Upgrades will be:
* Windows XP Home: $49 upgrade to Windows Vista Home Basic
* Windows XP Home: $79 upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.
* Windows XP Media Center: Free upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.
* Windows XP Professional: Free upgrade to Windows Vista Business.
* Windows XP Tablet PC: Free upgrade to Windows Vista Business.
Primary source: CRN