iPhones, iPods, and iPads forum: Transferring data from iPod to new iPhone

by: Bill Osler December 26, 2011 7:11 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Transferring data from iPod to new iPhone

by Bill Osler - 12/26/11 7:11 PM

I apologize if this is a well covered topic. I have not seen anything that quite matches my situation.

I will soon be receiving a new iPhone. I already have a fair amount of data on my iPod Touch. I also have a fair amount of data on my Blackberry Storm 2, some of which duplicates the data on the iPod. The iPhone is a replacement for the Blackberry, which has become unreliable.

I am trying to figure out the best way to make sure that all of the data from both devices ends up on the new phone.

The Contacts and Calendar on the Blackberry are tied to Exchange Server at work. I'm told that I will be using an application called "Good" to access Exchange Server from the iPhone but I don't know any details about that yet. IOW, I do not yet know how much I can transfer from the BB or how to do that.

My impression is that Apps and purchased music (maybe even the music I ripped from my CDs) currently on the iPod will transfer because they are synced through iTunes. I don't have anything in iCloud (yet?) and I have a negligible amount of purchased music so I'm not terribly worried about that part of the transfer.

The biggest unknown for me is that there is an iPod/iPhone app that has downloaded a lot of data that would be hard to replace, and which is only intermittently available for download. It is stored on the iPod but I don't know if/where iTunes backs up application specific data or whether that transfers from an old device to a new device. Can anybody shed any light on that?

Specifically, I am using a Bible App from YouVersion. There are a large number of translations available for download; there are also some that are only available for online access. The publishers of these online-only translations may make them available for download from time to time, but not with any great frequency. Because of that, I would like to be able to transfer the previously downloaded data used by this app to the new phone. Is that possible? If so, how?

I know one of the first things that will happen when I connect the new phone to to iTunes is that it will ask me if this is a new device or a replacement for an existing iPod. I have not been able to find information about the specific results of the choice I make at that step. If I click that this is a replacement and "restore" the iPod backup onto the iPhone will that create problems for either the iPhone or the old iPod? If I click that the iPhone is a "new" device, what transfers?

Thanks,
Bill Osler

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close