Home installation Lounge forum: New PC Build to replace 7 year old system!

by: bozobyte February 12, 2014 9:14 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

New PC Build to replace 7 year old system!

by bozobyte - 2/12/14 9:14 PM

RETHINKING THIS REPLACEMENT PC~
To reiterate, again, I am not a gamer, nor do I Over Clock, but I DO use Pinnacle Studio 15 HD Ultimate, and Photoshop CS5 (3D), and I do not use these professionally, just for family and friends, and burn the output to MPEG2. So I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars, but I do need to replace my current system:
MSI P-35 Mobo,DDR2-8GB,Geforce 8600GT, 128 bit 512MB, 700w Thermaltake PSU, and Intel Q6600 2.4 Quad CPU. people are now telling me that the 700W PSU was an overkill from the beginning and now all I really need a 550W. I also have a 20" Viewsonic 1280x960, I have heard that I should replace this with an HD 24" ACER GD235HZ, 1280x1080, for video playback, but again, I am not a professional that really needs to see video color and output for clients, that I'll never have...so to save a little money now by keeping my present monitor.... maybe after the upgrade, maybe i will change it out.
Up until this morning, I was going to upgrade my 7 year old desktop with the following:
Z87-G43 LGA1150 Mobo / i5 4670K/ PC DDR3 1600 16 GB / 16GB DDR3 / GPU- Geforce GTX--650 / and keep my 700W..and hope for the best! ...
...But after talking to Micro Center, the guy tells me to get this instead:
GPU- R9260 AMD / ASUS X79 LGA 2011 Quad channel is faster than dual / 4th GEN. i7 4820K / Zalman 9000 CPU heatsink cooler, or Zalman CNPS9500A LED Universal CPU Cooler / Two SSD's, one 120GB for SCRATCH DISKS,, and the second for PRIMARY (APPS) and use my regular WD 500GB, and 2TB HD'S for storage / and Over Clock the Bios, not motherboard.
I also have my original CoolerMaster 690 case, and all the five internal case fans. he said that a 7 year old PSU may fail, so get a new one.
I never had a solid state drive, so I don't know what he meant by installing a SCRATCH DRIVE, and also a PRIMARY DRIVE, (don't think he meant to partition one SSD)
Video Files eat up a lot of hard drive space and Photoshop utilizes tons of scratch disc space, so maybe that's why he told me to get the two SSD's. Salesman techie dude also said that the scratch SSD only lasts a few years, maybe four or five, but the speed is what I gain.

He added, this system should last far longer than my seven year build. Plenty of room to upgrade in the future.
Would the AMD R900 series at almost $330.00, be better than the R700 series? maybe I can find it cheaper elsewhere.
Thank you for any suggestions, whether this seems like a solid build, or overkill?
Microcenter has the COMBO i7 4th,4820K, along with the Asus X79 2011 PRO both for $534.98.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close