Home installation Lounge forum: New PC issues

by: TreyRay83 January 31, 2013 12:12 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

New PC issues

by TreyRay83 - 1/31/13 12:12 PM

Hi there,
I've just spent A BUNCH of money on trying to build a new PC and am having EXTREME problems with getting it to work completely, or just in general, without issues.

Here's the history-

1.- bought all of the following components for the new PC

Power Supply- OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus
Motherboard- MSI 970A-G46 AMD 9 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Hard Drive- WD Black 500 GB Internal Hard Drive - 3.5" Form Factor, SATA III 6Gb/s, 64MB Cache, 7200 RPM, RoHS Compliant (WD5003AZEX)
Video Card- HIS IceQ H785Q2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Solid State Drive- Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC 7mm Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Processor- AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
Memory- Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model PV316G186C0K
Blu Ray Player- New- unsure of which type- but BRAND NEW
Case- COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan
Operating System- Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
2. Put all of the components together with a friend who knows how to do it
(he has helped me build another PC in the past with no issues and has experience)

3.- originally installed Windows 8 (base) on the new PC- installed on the SSD 128 GB drive
It worked at first (very fast) but I HATED the way it operated like a lot of poeple do so I sent it back for Windows 7 Pro instead
extra note- even when installing Win 8 first time had issues with installing (would stop during the middle of installation) so had to do twice

4.- got the copy of Windows 7 Pro and installed it AFTER reformatting the SSD completely
During this process was having issues during "expanding windows files" process where it got to a certain percentage through and gave some sort of error about files being corrupt.

5.- eventually got the Win 7 Pro OS to install all the way
Everything pulled up correctly but continued to give me errors about not being able to activate

6.- did another complete re-install (after formatting the SSD again)
Had same issues of problems during "expanding windows files", but kept pursisting and eventually got it go install fully
Was able to get it to activate (beleive there was something from the Win 8 OS before that was screwing it up)

7.- Installed the drives for the Video Card and Motherboard (chipset, LAN, audio) and had it up and running

8.- after this I continued to get errors (Blue Screen of Death) where Windows would just shut down for no apparent reason and restart
Gave me reasons like "Memory Management" or "IRQL something" or "Service Exception", or even a few times did not give any reason at all

9.- Called Microsoft directly and had them take remote control of the system to check it, but they did not help at all (took a really long time to look at things and never gave me any answeres). After they got done and said to "simply re-install" again, was unable to even get windows to load.

10.- Re-installed AGAIN, but instead used the WD HDD 500GB because I was assuming that it was an issue with the SSD drive and maybe installing too many times? (I'm unfamiliar with the way SSD drives work but know that they make a HUGE diffrence in speed that I saw) - got a 7.7 in the WIE with the SSD and a 5.9 with the HDD
At first had an issue with it installing where a BSOD came up
Checked online at proceedure and used "command prompt" to try and fix things
Used
C:
Bootrec/fixmbr
Bootrec/fixboot
Said completed successfully
After this, it installed fine without any hiccups or issues during the "expanding files" part of it.
After the install (prior to instaling the divers for the Vdeo card and Chipset) I did get another BSOD at first, but did not give reasoning as to why wasn't working.

11.- used the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check each of the 8GB memory chips individually and it said that one of them was corrupt and the other one was fine.

12.- After this was unable to get Windows to load Internet Explorer at all and was having no real luck with using Windows Update (would freeze or have not work at all)

And that lead me up to the current situation where I don't know what to do.

Extra notes- Was able to install World of Warcraft during the FIRST Windows 7 install and it ran PERFECT with no glitches and no BSOD- so I don't think it's a video card issue- this time also included using BOTH 8GB memory sticks.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated because I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks
Tracy T

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close