Buzz Out Loud Lounge forum: Is tech industry perceived to be more important then it is?

by: paintguru April 3, 2008 5:27 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Is tech industry perceived to be more important then it is?

by paintguru - 4/3/08 5:27 PM

Ok, perhaps this is just me, but I am really getting the impression from listening to a variety of podcasts and reading tech related material online that the tech industry in general really thinks it is much more influential and important then it actually is in mainstream America. This came up again as I was listening to TWIT and the discussion about the "death of the newspaper" and how people will soon just get their news from blogs or *shudder* Twitter. Thankfully, Molly jumped in with a reasonable view, which the group eventually agreed upon, that EVENTUALLY this may happen but it is not gonna happen anytime soon. Leo went on about how he gets most of his stuff online and doesn't get the paper anymore (and seemed to flip flop to Molly's position at the end). While this may be true for some, I will be honest, I know of no one who even has a Kindle, uses Twitter, or only reads blogs for their news. I'd be shocked if they knew was RSS was. I would imagine it is not true for just me either.

A second example of this is TV via the internet. I have been hearing for the last year or two that the death of cable is coming and that this is the future. The way the tech industry makes this sound is that, in the next year or two, watching TV on my computer will be the norm, or at least downloading shows streamed to the TV will be. Sorry, I don't see it, and again, I know of no one who has ever watched anything on their computer beyond Youtube, nor do I know anyone that downloads things to a media center. I can see very few people over the age of 35 ever moving away from cable or satellite because of the fact that they are used to having it this way. Perhaps this is a generational thing (I am only 30), but even those that I know as young as their 20s know nothing about this stuff, nor do they show interest. And just because the kids are doing it doesn't mean it will be the norm. I know, just because it is true for me doesn't mean that it is true for everyone, but that is why I am posting this. Do you really know that many people who are actually doing these media "shifts" that the tech industry seems to be proclaiming? Do they listen to podcasts? Watch TV/movies online? Seek out Tekzilla or some other "made for the net" TV show? I mean, I work with PhDs who are in research and development, so I would consider them to be pretty "nerdy". We all love gadgets, computers, and consumer electronics, but I am the only one that listens to podcasts or is even semi-interested in the whole "media" revolution that is allegedly going on. Podcasting did not take off as people thought it would. Yes it has its place, but radio isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Satellite radio has a better chance of folding then it does succeeding. Perhaps I am just jaded or something, but I am curious to hear other people's thoughts. Granted we all may be a bit biased, as we are the people who have embraced (to a certain extent) the "new media", but are all your friends, coworkers, and family doing the same? I would think this would be necessary for all these old businesses to die off and be replaced by the newer media models. Sorry for the long post, hopefully it is a reasonable question.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close