Small business forum: Split Transactions With Unknown Amounts

by: mtupstairs December 27, 2012 11:56 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Split Transactions With Unknown Amounts

by mtupstairs - 12/27/12 11:56 AM

For the record, I use Gnucash as my accounting software. As with most accounting packages, each entry requires one or more offsetting entries (double entry accounting). I have come across something that I have never encountered before. I need to make a split transaction entry, but I don't know the actual amounts of the split.

At the end of the day, my POS system provides me with a daily summary. I get sales by category, total sales in cash and total sales in credit cards. I do not get a split of cash and credit sales at the sales category level. For example:

Daily Sales = $1000
Cash Sales = $700
Credit Sales = $300
Sales Summary:
Liquor Sales = $300
Beer Sales = $600
Food Sales = $100

My credit card sales will not be realized for 2-3 days and need to be recorded in a Accounts Receivable account. Obviously, cash would be realized immediately. In the old paper and pencil days, no problem:
CR Beer Sales = $600
CR Liquor Sales = $300
CR Food Sales = $100
DR Cash = $700
DR AR = $300
Debits = Credits and all is good ( at least I think so).

The issue I have is that as soon I try to credit Beer Sales, for example, Gnucash immediately wants to know what account(s) to debit. Actually all accounting packages I know of work this way. The issue is that I know what accounts to debit, but not how much to debit each one. I am sure there is some easy way to handle this, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help?

Do I just assign all my credit card sales to one category, such as beer?
Do I evenly split my credit card sales across all three categories?

Oh, and before you ask, there is not a way to get my register to report cash sales versus credit sales at the category level. I already asked the POS company about this option.

mtupstairs has chosen the best answer to his/her question.
Click here to view the answer that was selected.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved