HDTV buying advice: 720p vs. 1080p

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) ModeratorCNET staff - 10/5/07 10:25 AM

Question

Hi, I have a question for you guys. I am not sure which model
of Panasonic plasma HDTV I should buy with Viera line. The
50 inches with 1080p (TH-50PZ700) or the 50 inches with the
720p (TH-50PX75). Will I see a difference in screen quality
from the 720p to the 1080p if I only use the HDMI cable from
a regular DVD player 480P to upconverting the signal?

I know for sure that with a Blu-ray or HD DVD the difference
will be day and night but like I said if I only use the 480p
DVD player will it be worth to spend that money on 1080p.

Since I am not going to buy a Blu-ray or HD DVD player soon
because I don't know know which format will survive. I am
only going to use a DV with the HDMI connection to upgrade
the signal from a basic 480P DVD player to hook up my plasma
TV. Any help here is appreciated!

--Submitted by CNET member Yves L.

Answer voted most helpful by our CNET community newsletter readers:

Which Panasonic Plasma to buy?

720p or 1080p?

- I believe that a 60" screen is the smallest size you should consider if you want 1080p
- 46" is just too small ... IMO you are wasting your money to go 1080p at this size ... better to buy a 720p set.
- 50" may be OK if you sit about 6 feet away ... otherwise you are not going to see the difference 1080p makes.
- 60" you will see the difference if you sit close enough. The recommended distance for this size when viewing HDTV is 8 feet.

480p DVD - 1080p?

- unless you plan on purchasing a Blu-ray or HD DVD player in the new year purchasing a 1080p IMO will be a waste of money. You just are not going to get much benefit. You are better to go with a 720p set ... spend the money you save on a larger size screen ... go for 60". Most people will agree ... the bigger the better!

Blu-ray or HD DVD ... which will survive?

- if you are waiting to see which format will survive IMO you are going to wait a very long time.
- all indications are that both formats are going to be with use for a very long time. Most reviewers now believe that both are going to be winners ... but these formats need your support if we are not going to witness another SACD/DVD A disaster!
- buy a combo player if you cannot decide on one or the other.

Panasonic Plasma?

- before you make a final decision on which Panasonic plasma to buy, I urge you to take a look at the new Pioneer KURO plasma series. IMO they have the best PQ in the business at the moment ... certainly no other plasma or LCD display on the market can equal them for their blacks! At a local dealer they have a Panasonic 65" 1080p display on one wall and a Pioneer 60" 720p on another. According to the salesman, everyone always picks the Pioneer as the better of the two!

I hope this helps!

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=266793&messageID=2602725#2602725

--Submitted by CNET member HiDefBob

There are a lot of great contributions to Yves's question so please read on for more additional recommendations and advice. If you have any additional advice for Yves, let's hear them! Click on the "Reply" link to post. Please be detailed as possible in your answer. Thanks!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close