HDTV buying advice: 720p vs. 1080p
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) - 10/5/07 10:25 AM
Hi, I have a question for you guys. I am not sure which model
of Panasonic plasma HDTV I should buy with Viera line. The
50 inches with 1080p (TH-50PZ700) or the 50 inches with the
720p (TH-50PX75). Will I see a difference in screen quality
from the 720p to the 1080p if I only use the HDMI cable from
a regular DVD player 480P to upconverting the signal?
I know for sure that with a Blu-ray or HD DVD the difference
will be day and night but like I said if I only use the 480p
DVD player will it be worth to spend that money on 1080p.
Since I am not going to buy a Blu-ray or HD DVD player soon
because I don't know know which format will survive. I am
only going to use a DV with the HDMI connection to upgrade
the signal from a basic 480P DVD player to hook up my plasma
TV. Any help here is appreciated!
--Submitted by CNET member Yves L.
Answer voted most helpful by our CNET community newsletter readers:
Which Panasonic Plasma to buy?
720p or 1080p?
- I believe that a 60" screen is the smallest size you should consider if you want 1080p
- 46" is just too small ... IMO you are wasting your money to go 1080p at this size ... better to buy a 720p set.
- 50" may be OK if you sit about 6 feet away ... otherwise you are not going to see the difference 1080p makes.
- 60" you will see the difference if you sit close enough. The recommended distance for this size when viewing HDTV is 8 feet.
480p DVD - 1080p?
- unless you plan on purchasing a Blu-ray or HD DVD player in the new year purchasing a 1080p IMO will be a waste of money. You just are not going to get much benefit. You are better to go with a 720p set ... spend the money you save on a larger size screen ... go for 60". Most people will agree ... the bigger the better!
Blu-ray or HD DVD ... which will survive?
- if you are waiting to see which format will survive IMO you are going to wait a very long time.
- all indications are that both formats are going to be with use for a very long time. Most reviewers now believe that both are going to be winners ... but these formats need your support if we are not going to witness another SACD/DVD A disaster!
- buy a combo player if you cannot decide on one or the other.
- before you make a final decision on which Panasonic plasma to buy, I urge you to take a look at the new Pioneer KURO plasma series. IMO they have the best PQ in the business at the moment ... certainly no other plasma or LCD display on the market can equal them for their blacks! At a local dealer they have a Panasonic 65" 1080p display on one wall and a Pioneer 60" 720p on another. According to the salesman, everyone always picks the Pioneer as the better of the two!
I hope this helps!
--Submitted by CNET member HiDefBob
There are a lot of great contributions to Yves's question so please read on for more additional recommendations and advice. If you have any additional advice for Yves, let's hear them! Click on the "Reply" link to post. Please be detailed as possible in your answer. Thanks!