Community Newsletter: Q&A forum: Is my current software compatible with Vista?

by: Lee Koo (ADMIN) February 22, 2007 4:27 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Is my current software compatible with Vista?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) ModeratorCNET staff - 2/22/07 4:27 PM

Question

Here's a question I have yet to see discussed anywhere. While there is a lot of discussion of the question, "Is your PC ready for Vista?", nowhere have I seen a discussion of whether your SOFTWARE is ready for Vista. In past upgrades I remember seeing many examples of software incompatibility moving from one version of Windows to the next. How can I tell if I will have any software incompatibility issues if I upgrade to Vista?

Submitted by: Art S. of St. Louis, Missouri

Answer voted most helpful by our members:

I hate to say it Art, but the bottom line is you will not know for sure what software is compatible with Windows Vista until you actually try it. Not only does it depend on what exact software version you have but also how you as an individual, use that software. You may not run into any issues while using just the basic features of a specific software but find all kinds of problems when you go to use some of the more advanced functions. It is often difficult to isolate just the software without including some aspect of hardware or at least peripherals. Especially if you consider drivers to be a form of software. The best recommendation I have for you is to:

1. Download and Run Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. This will give you some idea but have found that it misses a lot as well.

2. Check the website for each and every software program that you plan to use for updates, known problems, and/or issues with Vista.

3. Search your favorite forums for problems that others may be having.

4. Download and install the latest updates for all individual software programs that you plan to use.

Not to bore you with the details of my week, but the easiest way to explain it, is to give you some examples. I setup and installed 9 new Vista computers this last week and had slight problems with every one of them. Now what I might consider to be a slight problem, may be really major to you. But you can decide for yourself. Please keep in mind that drivers and patches are coming out every day and some of these issues may even have been corrected by the time you read this or I simply did not have time to find a solution. Here is what I ran into:

HP Photosmart Printer No Vista drivers available yet, but HP had a work around to be able to just print to it without other features.

HP Photosmart 2610 All-in-one No Vista drivers yet, but HP had a work around to be able to just print. Quick buttons on printer do not work but you can use Windows Fax and Scan (Not available on Vista Basic) to force it to scan.

HP V90 All-in-one Printer No Vista drivers yet, but HP had a work around to be able to print. Quick buttons on printer do not work but you can use Windows Fax and Scan (Not on Vista Basic) to force it to scan.

Handspring Visor PDA Could not get it to Sync yet. Customer did not want me to spend any more time on it.

Canon Rebel XT Camera Vista Compatible Software not available for working with Raw format as yet.

Sony USB thumb Drive Would not install and Vista could not find drivers for it. Another brand worked fine. Dont know why?

Quicken 2007 Install During installation, the update seemed to stall and reported not responding, so I killed the application. Quicken did not work and could not be uninstalled or reinstalled at this point. I checked their website and found that this is a common problem in Vista and even if update appears to stall you have to wait up to 2 hours for it to complete. So I had to download Quickens uninstall program and ran a Windows installer repair utility to get me back to being able to reinstall Quicken.

Linksys USB Wireless Adapter No Drivers from Linksys for this model, so I installed new internal PCI Wireless Adapter that did haveVista Drivers.

Belkin PCI Wireless Card Ver 5100 No Vista drivers for this version of this card, I had to replace the Bekin card with a Linksys Card and download new Vista Drivers.

Brand New Dell with Errors 3 brand new Dells all had Sonic Solutions driver errors on boot right out of the box. I had to download patches from Roxio to correct the problem.
Epson Perfection 1650 scanner No Drivers for Vista as yet. I have not found a work around as yet.

Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 No Vista drivers yet, Logitech suggests purchasing a new Vista ready webcam. (What a Surprise)

Palm Z22 PDA Could not get it to sync with Vista. I ran out of time and did not investigate this issue as yet.

Mozzilla Firefox Customer wanted Firefox but had read about some issues with Vista, so decided not to install until we know more.

Hp Laserjet 4m Could not install. This had nothing to do with Vista but more to do with many new computers in general. This computer did not come with parallel printer ports and this printer does not have USB.

Please note that these were all issues that came up while setting up brand new Vista computers and mixing in some older hardware and software. People, well at least my clients, dont seem to be upgrading computers to Vista, but rather are just waiting until they purchase a new computer to make the transition to Vista. For Obvious reasons if you purchase a new Vista computer with all new Hardware and Software and dont reuse any of your old stuff, then you will probably have fewer problems And is this not what every manufacturer would like you to do? From what I have seen so far, manufacturers dont seem to be jumping on creating fixes for older software and hardware as vigorously as they did when Windows XP was released , but want to force use to buy new Vista compatible items. Now if software prices would only come down the way hardware has, we would be all set. $679 for Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate? You can almost buy 2 new computers for that

Submitted by: Dana
Wayland Computer

If you have an answer to submit for Art, please click the "Reply" link and offer your advice.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close