Community Newsletter: Q&A forum: 11/22/06 Recycle, reuse, or donate? What should I do with my old PC?

by: Lee Koo (ADMIN) November 21, 2006 12:37 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

11/22/06 Recycle, reuse, or donate? What should I do with my old PC?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) ModeratorCNET staff - 11/21/06 12:37 PM

Question:

My question isn't as technical as it is practical. Over the years, my wife and I have accumulated three desktops and a laptop computer that are outdated. What does one do with these things? I know there are environmental issues involved in disposal of the monitors. Also, it seems like a waste to just throw away these machines. Is there something like a home for aged computers or someone who would use the components rather than adding them to a landfill? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

(Note: There is really no wrong or right answer to this question from David, so if you have suggestions or creative ways to reuse, renew, or recycle old and outdated computers, please share them with us.)

Submitted by: David L.

Hi everyone,

This past week we received well over 600+ answers to David L.'s question. And while all the answers received from our members were wonderful and valid, we couldn't list them all because of the sheer volume of answers. So I do apologize for not having them all listed.

The general consensus of our members' recommendations were to donate them to charity or any organization that can help out others who are less fortunate. So for some ideas of where you can donate your old computer equipment; here is a list of places that came up quite frequently from your answers:

-- Local schools
-- Local churches
-- Orphanages
-- Senior centers
-- Non-profit organizations
-- Salvation Army/Goodwill
-- Shelters for battered women, the homeless, etc...
-- Public libraries
-- 3rd world countries

If your computer equipment is too old or non-functional, you can always recycle them at your local recycling center or community electronic waste event.

And of course the third option is to sell your equipment on eBay or other classified market places.

All in all -- the last resort is to dump these items into the trash bin--as most electronic equipment does contain possible hazardous materials that are not healthy for our environment. So remember, it's always best to recycle or reuse whenever possible.

To give you an idea of how broad of an audience this Community newsletter reaches, we received answers from Ireland, China, India, Australia, Gambia, Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, The Philippines, Canada, Mexico, US, and many other countries. It's always great to see people from all over the world.

Thank you all for your participation and contribution to this question! You guys are the best!

Take care and best regards,
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close